For those of you who aren't familiar with it, I believe in a simple take 10 philosophy; take 10 minutes a day to make a difference in the life of someone else. I believe that if everyone did that, the world would be a better place!
Here are 10 ways you can do that, for FREE:
1. Make a conscious effort to smile; You'd be surprised how often a simple smile can brighten someone's day.
2. Give someone a genuine compliment; Pretty skirt, nice shoes, I like your hair like that, or even You are so patient! Good job!
3. Remember your manners-say please, thank you, no sir, yes ma'am, etc. Being polite is always helpful!
4. Do something nice for someone; take initiative and fold the laundry, grab an extra cup of coffee from the coffee pot for your spouse, make a homemade goodie for after work/school etc.
5. Go through your stuff; donate old clothing, shoes, furniture, what nots, etc. Someone can use them and appreciate them! AND your home will be neater/easier to clean so you are helping yourself at the same time!
6. Volunteer-I know, you are so busy. But are you really so busy you can't spare 20 minutes a week to read to a group of preschoolers, to cut out shapes for your child's teacher, to make copies, etc?
7. Do a good deed; Gather your vacationing neighbor's mail, walk a dog, wash a window, cut an elderly neighbor's grass, etc, clean the home of a new mom, sick neighbor, etc.
8. Organize a neighborhood garage sale/food drive/clothing or toy drive; Give the profits/proceeds to your favorite charity. You can also do the same with any of those home party companies; Scentsy, 31 Gifts, Tupperware and have the proceeds donated to your food bank, women's shelter, etc.
9. Make something for someone; perhaps you have a painting talent-paint a picture for a sick neighbor, or sewing-make a pillowcase for Conn Kerr Cancer Center, knitting-knit a remembrance blanket for a family that's lost their little one.
10. Send a letter, text or email; just to let someone know you are thinking of them and how much you miss them, how important they are, what a good person they are, etc. Take a minute to personalize it. Haven't heard from a friend in a while? Write them and let them know you care, they just might need to hear it.
If you do one or more of the things on this list, you WILL make a difference. Not just in someone else's life, but in your own!